Is your playroom an oversized garbage can for toys? Would you like your kids to know what they own and play with what they have? Wondering what you should choose from the overwhelming selection in the store? Follow these guidelines and check out my professional picks below, to create the ideal toy system for your home:
- De-clutter! Rid your home of all broken toys and games, puzzles with missing pieces, oversized toys that no-one enjoys, and all unsuccessful toys.
- Choose your strategy. Do you want your toys open and accessible to your kids? Do you want them less available to avoid an unmanageable mess? A combination of both? Choose your strategy before choosing your containers and bins.
- Count and measure. Return all the homeless pieces to their places and asses the size container each toy needs to handle the toy correctly. A container should never fit its contents perfectly, make sure there is extra room to allow for hassle free clean up. Count how many small containers you need, how many medium, how many large and extra large. Measure your shelves to assess how many containers fit onto a shelf.
- Choose a uniform system. Don’t buy random containers of different shapes and brands. Choose a strong durable brand , which has various sizes that conveniently stack together to create a uniform look.
- Do your homework! Amazon is a super way to illustrate the various toy solutions which exist. Check out their pictures and dimensions on the Amazon site to see if it will work for your play area. Purchasing the wrong product is a big piece of unnecessary clutter in your home so be careful before you make a purchase. Any product you see here as an affiliate link is a product which I believe in, and I may earn from qualifying purchases at no added expense to you. (Although all containers break if a child steps on them…) Please look at my comments next to each product to see if it works for you. Feel free to use these examples as a guide to sizes and measurements and find something compatible in a store in your area.
See this toy system in action: Tame the Toys! Design Video Clip
Are you considering a playroom renovation? Or do you just need an organizing appointment? Contact me to create a playroom for you that is Designed to STAY Organized! 053 310 7512
PROFESSIONAL PICKS FOR SMALL TOYS
These are great for card games, small crafts, beads, small hair accessories, and all toys with small pieces.
PROFESSIONAL PICKS FOR BOARD GAMES
No more broken boxes. Here is THE solution for storing most board games and their many pieces, as well as magnetic games, papers, stationary, chunky puzzles, and crafts. A great size for your toy closet.
PROFESSIONAL PICKS FOR MOST TOYS 15 Quart / 14 Liter
This is the most popular size for most toys in your home. It’s slightly bigger than a men’s shoe box. Perfect for menches, matchbox cars, toy kitchen accessories, little lego, Mr. Potato Head, etc. you name it – this is the size! Purple clip is known to be stronger than the aqua.
PROFESSIONAL PICKS FOR CLUNKY AND LARGE TOYS 27 Quart / 26 Liter
This size is great for a doll collection, dress-up, train sets , baby toys, and cars. It’s also great for sweater and clothing storage.
PROFESSIONAL PICKS FOR BASKETS
Don’t want to bother with the lids? Try these strong baskets similiar in size to the 15 Quart and 27 Quart containers. For easy access – no stacking please. A great accessory for storage cubbies .
PROFESSIONAL PICKS FOR OVERSIZED COLLECTIONS OF TOYS 66 Quart / 62 liter
Are you a playmobil hoarder? Is your magna tile collection large enough to serve the whole block? Do you own way too many stuffed animals? Try these containers to house your collection. These are also great for large trucks and garage storage.
PROFESSIONAL PICKS FOR UNDER THE BED STORAGE 32Quart / 30 Liter
Maximize the space under your children’s beds with this great size.
PROFESSIONAL PICKS FOR MARKERS / CRAYONS / PAPER
Put a few of these near your kiddies table and you have a complete Arts & Crafts center! One drawer for markers, one for crayons, one for paper and your kids are set! Use another set of drawers for stickers, scissors and coloring books. It’s also a popular plastic cutlery sorter.
PLAY MAT AND ORGANIZER FOR TOYS WITH SMALL PIECES
Want to be assured that you got every last piece of playmobil so that there won’t be any choking hazards lying around? Have your kids play on one of these neat play mats and just pull the draw strings at clean -up time.